Trees, historic homes, and galleries, holiday-style
Buffalo Spree’s 2011 Holiday Calendar is quite simply fit to burst with events, concerts, walks, Santa visits, and more (including Elmwood Village Open Late Saturdays, pictured above), but several neat events came in after we sent our December issue to the printer. Here are a few happening in the next week or so.
• The Tree of Hope Lighting Ceremony at Roswell Park Cancer Institute on Friday December 2 (4:30–6:30 p.m.) is a holiday celebration for all families and individuals who have been affected by cancer. A few highlights will be horse-drawn carriage rides, raffles, refreshments, and a candle ceremony paying tribute to those who have or are struggling with cancer, and those who have lost the fight. If you can’t make it in person, tune into WIVB Channel 4 for a live broadcast from the event. Register by calling 877-ASK-RPCI or writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Rich Twinn Octagon House (145 Main St., Akron) is decorated for the holidays and open for tours on the next three December Sundays (4, 11, 18) from noon to 3 p.m. This historical museum owned and operated by the Newstead Historical Society is fully furnished with period pieces and décor and will be specially decorated in Victorian fashion. A special evening tour on December 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. will feature music from the circa-1870 pump organ and holiday carolers. For info, visit www.newsteadhistoricalsociety.org or call 542-7022.
• The 464 Gallery, located on the historically artistic Amherst Street, is hosting multiple holiday events with dozens of guest artists, tours, and celebrations. On Friday, December 2 (6–10 p.m.) the gallery, located at 464 Amherst, will offer an open studio event with live art. The Black Rock Holiday Stumble, running from 5 to 9 p.m. on December 3, is a tour to some of Amherst Street’s neighborhood hotspots like the Black Rock Kitchen & Bar, the 464 Gallery, Delish!, and the Sportsmens Tavern. For info, visit www.464Gallery.com or call 983-2112.
• The tenth annual Hamburg Chamber Holiday Bash Fundraiser will take place on Tuesday, December 6 (5:30–9:30 p.m.) at the Hamburg Fairgrounds Event Center. It will offer a great opportunity for businesses, groups, and organizations to celebrate and shop together while participating in live, theme, and silent auctions. A dinner will be served, and a portion of all proceeds will benefit the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce Scholarship fund. Make a reservation at 649-7917 or www.hamburg-chamber.org.
• Lastly, the always-bustling Hertel Avenue will be especially busy on Friday, December 2, from 5 to 9 p.m., and Saturday, December 3, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more info, call the Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association at 877-1776.
Photo courtesy of the Elmwood Village Association.