More Heritage Businesses in WNY
A selection of vintage area businesses
Location: 378 Englewood Ave., Buffalo
About: Adema works closely with homeowners and commercial businesses on their heating, ventilation, and cooling (HVAC) needs. After 140 years, the company is still owned by the Adema family.
Location: 1132 Broadway St., Buffalo
About: Founded in 1888, the bakery was originally known for its traditional pumpernickel rye bread. Over time, Cohen’s has expanded into pastries, rolls, and become an established distributor of wholesale and retail products.
Location: 1287 Oak Orchard River Rd., Waterport
About: After a decision to eliminate retail in 2015, Brown’s Berry Patch is returning to its grassroots and is refocusing operations on the growing of fruit.
Location: 1165 Clinton St., Buffalo, NY 14206
About: Originally known as Scheeler & Sons, Buffalo Wire Works is an industry-leading screening media manufacturer. The company has expanded operations into Colorado and Nevada.
Location: 5225 Main St., Williamsville
(formerly on Elmwood Ave. in Buffalo)
About: This beloved store started as a doll hospital and is known for its stock of old-school and innovative toys.
Location: 560 Delaware Ave., Buffalo
About: Located in the heart of the historic Allentown district, GBB’s slogan has long been “We sell the city!” The company also provides commercial and residential insurance options, and supports youth sports programs across WNY.
Location: 230 Grider St., Buffalo
About: For more than 140 years, HARD Manufacturing has been designing, manufacturing, and selling a wide range of pediatric beds and cribs for hospitals, healthcare facilities, and home care use. In 2018, the company was able to donate $50,000 worth of materials to a Jamaican pediatric unit as part of an upgrading initiative.
Location: 140 Pearl St., Buffalo
About: The attorneys and staff at Hodgson Russ practice over 200 types of law. Located in the historic Guaranty Building, the firm also supports more than 250 charitable and community organizations within Western New York and across the country.
Location: 15 West 2nd St., Jamestown
About: Billed as “southwestern New York’s leading newspaper,” with a circulation of over 20,000, the Jamestown Post-Journal was founded by Adolphus B. Fletcher and was originally published weekly as the Jamestown Journal. In 1826, it became a daily paper, which later combined with The Jamestown Post in 1941.
Location: 1100 Rand Building, 14 Lafayette Sq., Buffalo
About: The Magavern Magavern Grimm practice encompasses many types of law, including administrative, business, intellectual property, and real estate. It offers legal services to businesses, government, individuals, and nonprofit organizations.
Location: 1540 Seneca Creek Rd., West Seneca
About: Five generations of family have run this business, which makes and sells cider, juice, water, and more. The small shop is open seasonally.
Location: 472 Franklin St., Buffalo
About: Prentice has long been known for office space decor and design.
Location: 220 Main St., Randolph
About: Register Graphics specializes in business cards, banners, brochures, and more for individuals and businesses.
Location: 789 Center Rd., West Seneca
About: Famous for roast beef on kummelweck, Schwabl’s restaurant moved to the corner of Center and Union in 1942.
Location: 170 Ohio St., Buffalo
About: Opened as “Swanerski House,” a tavern owned by the Swanerski family, the name “Swannie House” was adopted after tensions between Irish and East European patrons became apparent. The second oldest tavern still operating in Buffalo, Swannie House is located at the corner of Ohio Street and Michigan Street, in its original, remodeled structure.
Location: 801 Main St., Buffalo
About: This fifth-generation-family-owned insurance company has helped families and businesses for over 150 years, specializing in auto, home, liability, and more.
Location: 7189 Gowanda State Rd., Eden
About: The business is now operating under the Henry family’s fourth and fifth generations. Offering a variety of marketplace produce, potted plants, and annual or perennial flowers, W. D. Henry & Sons has received numerous awards. The Henry family also played a large part in forming the original Bailey-Clinton Market, and Eden Valley Co-op.