2 tablespoons olive oil
3 stalks celery, sliced or diced
2 medium carrots, sliced,or diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked lentils
1/2 cup uncooked long grained brown rice
8 cups water or broth (chicken or vegetable)
2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon minced onion
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 1/2 cups (one 14-ounce can) diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups (one 14-ounce can) tomato puree
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey or other sweetener
1 1/2 teaspoons salt – or to taste
1. In a soup pan, sauté celery, carrots, and onion in oil over medium heat until onions begin to look translucent (about 6 to 8 minutes).
2. Add garlic and sauté for 1 additional minute.
3. Meanwhile, rinse lentils in colander under running water. Set aside to drain.
4. Add 8 cups water or broth, rice, and rinsed lentils to pan. Turn heat to high.
5. Add seasonings. Cover and bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and tomato puree, return to boil, then reduce heat and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender. Note: All stoves cook differently, so be sure to test the lentils to see if they are done.
8. Add lemon juice and sweetener and season with salt to taste.Serve hot.
The working women's version:
Open 2 Cans of Progresso lentil soup
Add 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp.celery salt
1 Bag of Birds eye frozen brown rice in a bag (microwave 4 minutes)
Add rice to soup mix , heat and serve.