(recipe from Robin Kurss)
1 c chocolate chunks
½ c candied ginger, chopped into ½" pieces
2 Tbsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
2 c flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ c sugar
1 ½ sticks cold butter, cubed
½ c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz. mascarpone
1 pint whipping cream
1/3 c confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line an 8 x 4" loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, toss the ginger, chocolate chunks and zest with 1 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar.
3. In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar…pulse to combine.
Add butter cubes and pulse till butter is the size of peas.Add this to bowl with ginger and chocolate mix.
4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream and vanilla and add to above. Use a large spoon to mix until all is combined.
5. Pour the mix into loaf pan, allow for a "craggy top", no need to smooth it, this will be a yummy and crunchy top! Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes…top will be nicely browned and a toothpick test should come out clean.
7. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes.
To make the whipped cream….place all in a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
Serve loaf with cream and jam.